Stockholm-Nynäshamn and biking in Gotland in general

Välkommen till FIXEDGEAR.SE!
basti

Stockholm-Nynäshamn and biking in Gotland in general

Post by basti » 12 Apr 2011 22:15

Hello!

First I want to apologize (again) that i am writing in english, but there has not been much improvement in my skills of swedish language since my first and only post some years ago when I asked help with shops in STC.... :oops:

We are going to Gotland for a week early may for a small bike trip.. We dont have much plans except that we are not dragging tents and stuff but instead have accomondations in hostels and by couch surfing.
I dont fancy biking in car crowded highways so my question is, what would be nicest (scenic?) route from Stockholm to Nynäshamn? Or in case we have a ferry to catch, is there a train/bus which allows to taking bikes with?

Of course we welcome all hints about (biking in) Gotland in general!

I am eagerly waiting for being ass raped in beautiful Gotland by my way too new leather randonneur saddle.. :twisted:

Thanks!

Sebastian, Hel/Finland.

Fredde

Re: Stockholm-Nynäshamn and biking in Gotland in general

Post by Fredde » 12 Apr 2011 22:33

Hi!

You can jump on the "pendeltåg" (local-train) at "Södra Station" (10min bikeride from Viking Line ferry) and the train takes you to Nynäshamn in about 1 hour (2-4 departures per hour), the train stays just next to the ferry (think it is the endstation?) and costs like 5-6€ (you can pay by SMS on a swedish telephone or buy tickets at "pressbyrån".

Otherwise it is about 100km bikeride, 20-30km suburb to start with and 70-80km nice countryside road.

Edit: Ohh the route follows the train route so you can jump on the train and go by train in the end or beginning if you would like.

Are you using GPS?

/Fredde

basti

Post by basti » 12 Apr 2011 23:27

Hi!

Thanks for answering!

Only navigating system in hand will be iphone's maps and I assume (biking) map for Gotland.

Sebastian

mantono

Post by mantono » 12 Apr 2011 23:49

If you're planning to take the pendeltåg to Nynäshamn, a word of caution; You are not permitted to bring a bicycle on the pendeltång before nine a.m. Last summer I was going to Nynäshamn with the pendeltåg in order to travel further to Gotland with the ferry. We almost missed the train (and the ferry as well) because they wouldn't let us in to the station five minutes to nine.

My advise is that you book youself onto one of the ferries that depart later during the day from Nynäshamn. Also, you can not bring a bicycle to the Central Station (T-Centralen), no matter what time of the day it is, so you should probably head for Södra Station (as mentioned above) or some other station.

This gives you a rough idea what I'm talking about; http://translate.google.com/translate?s ... /SL-Cykel/

Oh, yes... From someone who's been there and done it, you will have a great time bicycling on Gotland! Good luck!

Fredde

Post by Fredde » 13 Apr 2011 00:01

The ride from Stockholm to Nynäshamn are called "Nynäsleden" and have signs (I would not recommend just rinding after the signs).

Checkout this page:
http://www.stigoteket.se/stig.php?stig_id=9

and:
http://www.stigoteket.se/stig_karta.php?stig_id=9

here you can find maps and the profile. :)

/Fredde

Gustav

Post by Gustav » 13 Apr 2011 07:37

As mentioned I would advise you to take the train to Nynäshamn and have as many hours as possible biking on Gotland instead. When on Gotland just stick to small roads and the coast if it isn't to windy. Since there are no really "big" roads on Gotland you could go pretty much everywhere. Fårö (North) or Storsudret (South) are my suggestions. But be careful, I bet there are a lot of places that aren't open in May.

For how long are you gonna be there?

By the way, those no-bike-at-nine-rules do not apply on weekends. Good luck!

edit: brain freeze geography :oops:
Last edited by Gustav on 13 Apr 2011 09:46, edited 1 time in total.

Hoven

Post by Hoven » 13 Apr 2011 08:09

I agree with Gustav, just stick to the small roads. And like he say there is many places that aren´t open so check with some youth hostel and se if they are open!

I would highly recomend Fårö(not Öland Gustav :wink:) then i would recomend the east side of Gotland like Katthammarsvik, while there you can visit the litte bike shop in Gammelgarn http://www.gammelgarnverkstad.se/ he sure have some pearls!

/david

klasolsson

Post by klasolsson » 13 Apr 2011 08:16

If you DO want to pedal your way to Nynäshamn anyway, send a PM to username "Freddie" (not Fredde who has replied to your thread), he was planning on biking to Nynäshamn three weeks ago and catch a ferry to visit some relatives on Gotland. He could possibly help you out.

If Freddie sees this, did you manage to bike to Nynäs?

Good luck Basti! Make sure you document it all. Why not turn up on a Thursday Ride, have a few beers and tell us all about it? :D

basti

Post by basti » 13 Apr 2011 09:44

Thanks a lot mates!

I would love to join a ride, but i am arriving in STC at friday or saturday at the end of month, and will be back at 7th or 8th of may to reach a lecture at KTH on monday, but job and school won't allow me to stay at STC longer. Do you guys have polo at weekends?

I guess we will be consentrate on Gotland then, Ive been in Visby several times, but besides that, I don't know anything from it.

carlhenrik

Post by carlhenrik » 13 Apr 2011 10:10

If you're heading to Fårö, check out the island Furillen. Kind of a cool place.

You'll find some hostels at: http://www.gotland.net/en/stay or http://www.selectgotland.com/accommodation-gotland

freddie

Post by freddie » 13 Apr 2011 10:14

klasolsson wrote: If Freddie sees this, did you manage to bike to Nynäs?
Yup I managed to get to Nynäs in time but the first trip down was a bit tough with cold rain and a few difficulties finding the right way since I didn't pay full attention to my GPS.

So here's how to bike to Nynäshamn without too much heavy traffic. Remember to have patience while the map is loading:

http://runkeeper.com/user/freddiesan/activity/30429797

You should be able to bike down in about 4 hours if you pay attention to the route and use a GPS of some sort (I used an iPhone connected to 3G). The route is a mixture of about 80% paved road and 20% gravel road. I biked down on my fixed gear bike 47x17 and 23mm tires and didn't have any major problems. The tricky part might be to find the gravel roads which connect the paved roads. Otherwise it's a very pretty and quiet route except for a few kilometers 20 kilometers into the trip from Stockholm where you might encounter alot of heavy trucks due to construction work nearby.

Good luck and don't hesitate to send me a PM if you have more questions.

svennelainen

Post by svennelainen » 14 Apr 2011 08:59

Actually, there is not much traffic on old road 73 nowadays. Everyone goes by the new freeway and the old road is the fastest route to Nynäs.

dambxl

Post by dambxl » 14 Apr 2011 09:27

I'm planning the same thing for the middle of May, so if you've got some major feedbacks both on the way to Gotland and in the island, please tell me. Meanwhile have a good trip! :wink:

ana

Post by ana » 14 Apr 2011 09:43

I am originally from Haninge and I remember when I was 17 or 18 and they were building the freeway, me and some mates used to bike on it all the time.

Riding a bike on that kind of road, an empty freeway, is one of my best biking experience ever, total Mad Max feeling! We also went to Gotland with the intent to go around, but instead, we got drunk. I think we went like 5km south of Visby and then went back. :mrgreen:

Those were the days.

svennelainen

Post by svennelainen » 14 Apr 2011 20:36

Today the freeway goes all the way to Nynäs. LV73 is only used by locals now. :)

mjaou

Post by mjaou » 15 Apr 2011 20:11

I´m doing the trip to nynäs the 22:th of april, tell me if you want company and can go on that date. otherwise, be sure to tell me anyways and i can go meet up with you for coffee, beer or just biking.

/Claes

basti

Post by basti » 19 Apr 2011 23:47

Nice indeed to have so many answers to my wonderings!

I went to Santiago de Chile for exchange year ago february, and they have one great company in bikes there as well. In two weeks from my arrival I had a tall enough frame for myself and a workshop to put it all together. If any of you happens to be heading in that corner of world, be sure to ask me contact infos or go straight to leffixedgear.wordpress.com weekly polo (or two), lots of group rides and whatnot happening there.
I assume this goes with many sub-cultures, but nonetheless I sure am gratetful of how welcoming ours is.

Anyway.. back in subject, we are going to take a bit heavier load after all. Like Gustav and Hoven said there ain't much open bunks outside Visby atleast in student budget, so panniers, tent and mocca pot (or what ever that italian-origin-aluminium-coffeething is called in english) are coming to Gotland. I arrive at mayday and I guess we try to reach 12.00 ferry to Visby, have 4 to 6 days on the road and head back to Stc at following weekend.

Ill be sure to post pictures from a trip here.

Claes and all, Ill be probably riding around (sitting in park or terrace) STC sunday and monday (8th&9th) so a beer or two would suit just fine.

Sebastian

basti

Post by basti » 06 May 2011 16:06

Some very hipstamatic pics from Gotlnd. It was pretty cold, and I managed to forget both knee and arm warmers but otherwise it was just what small spring trip to Gotland is oughta be, very good..! More details later, know I will consentrate on my beer some where behind Medborgarplatsen. And what comes the name of our blog, we know.

Thanks again for everyone!

http://enmeraol.blogspot.com/2011/05/gotland-2011.html