Source for metallic touch-up paint?

Frågor och tips om mek med din cykel.
aunderhi

Source for metallic touch-up paint?

Post by aunderhi » 18 May 2016 14:55

I want to touch up the chainstays of an old Mustang where the previous owner really went to town and overtightened a kickstand, and I'd like to take care of a few other scratches while I'm at it.

Anyone know of a source with a large selection of metallic paint colors?

The specific color is the same as the frame in this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=19992

Mekonomen and Biltema were the first places I checked, but I didn't see anything there. A lot of automotive websites only allow colors to be searched by year and car model. There's Aliexpress.com, but it seems kind of silly to ship one €2 tube of paint from China. I can't see it being a popular fingernail polish outside of St Patrick's day, and fingernail polish is always too thick anyways.

måns

Re: Source for metallic touch-up paint?

Post by måns » 20 May 2016 15:52

I think I went by http://www.ekgbildelar.se/index.htm when I painted a frame a few years ago, you pick your color according to a catalog(NCS/RAL, can't remember) and get it delivered in a spraycan a week or so later. IIRC they had both metallics and solids.

Naturally it's hard to match the color of an old bike though, depends on how picky you are with the result. Also a two-component color in a spraycan will never be as durable as powder coat or similar, and will need hardening and/or a layer of clear coat.

This is in Stockholm of course, where are you located?

aunderhi

Re: Source for metallic touch-up paint?

Post by aunderhi » 23 May 2016 08:56

Thanks! - I'll be in Stockholm in a few weeks so I'll try and figure out what RAL I'm after and give that place a call.