Re-insert pin on chain. Possible?

Frågor och tips om mek med din cykel.
Freeza

Re-insert pin on chain. Possible?

Post by Freeza » 15 Apr 2016 20:51

Just made the terrible mistake of popping the pin out on an Half Link Chain.

:?

Do you guys know a way to put it back in?
Or is it new chain time for me?

Freeza

Re: Re-insert pin on chain. Possible?

Post by Freeza » 15 Apr 2016 21:31

Never mind. just broke it.

even

Post by even » 17 Apr 2016 22:23

Yeah. Getting a pin back in once it's fully out is generally not done. Can be done with abit of patience, care and a decent chain tool - and perhaps dependant on the chain aswell and a bit of luck - just make sure to lead with the end that is already dulled (from the extraction) not the one still intact and mushroomed from factory.

You could always patch it up with a quick/master link. Or if you have some extra links, take off the bad link, and reattach a fresh piece of chain in it's place - making sure to keep the pins in this time (and sticking out 1-0,5mm on the inside to help line up the inner plate).

It's a good challenge. Practice on whatever chain you replaced. :-)

Freeza

Post by Freeza » 18 Apr 2016 08:46

even wrote:Yeah. Getting a pin back in once it's fully out is generally not done. Can be done with abit of patience, care and a decent chain tool - and perhaps dependant on the chain aswell and a bit of luck - just make sure to lead with the end that is already dulled (from the extraction) not the one still intact and mushroomed from factory.

You could always patch it up with a quick/master link. Or if you have some extra links, take off the bad link, and reattach a fresh piece of chain in it's place - making sure to keep the pins in this time (and sticking out 1-0,5mm on the inside to help line up the inner plate).

It's a good challenge. Practice on whatever chain you replaced. :-)
I'm actually thinking about using this chain as a practice as you said :)
This mistake of mine came out of pure ignorance!