Fixed gear suddenly harder to pedal, Stuckholm in Stockholm?

Frågor och tips om mek med din cykel.
twotired

Fixed gear suddenly harder to pedal, Stuckholm in Stockholm?

Post by twotired » 26 Nov 2015 02:45

Hey, I brought my bike with me from the US about 6 months ago (Miyata, early 90s, I just like my bike). I converted it last minute to what was supposed to be a singlespeed (my favorite to ride) but the magic gear ratio didn't work out for that and I ended up having to go with a fixie. My bike has vertical drop outs so I am stuck with the magic gear ratios and no room to adjust the wheel for chain tension. Needless to say, I have ridden it fixed for the last months in Stockholm every day 5-30km and it was going great, mostly. Even taken it bike touring in Dalarna this August, as a fixie. Goal was to ride singlespeed in the fall and fixed in the winter. But the chain didn't stretch until this past week... and now suddenly it has become harder to pedal

Or at least I think that is the problem. maybe the bike is just cold or the components are effected by it being stored outside (I am riding it daily though)? the chain is more slack than it has been (and I have no option to fix that, tried taking out the half link I have, it was too tight and binding...)... But the entire bike is a lot harder to pedal right now - 1 week ago it was mostly ok. Now it is insanely difficult. Before it was smooth pedaling and I could back pedal easily, etc (I have a front brake, I even have rear brakes for the singlespeed option on there but I usually leave that unhooked since I am not riding it like that - since my brake cables are internally routed I keep the cables on there and don't care if it doesn't look clean). Before I complain more about what a pain it is right now I want to ask :

What other things should I check on my fixie aside from the obviously now slightly slack chain? Bearings, alignment, etc?
are there any shops where I can by a 17T drev for my wheel in Stockholm or should I just order one? I am running 46T front 16T rear and I *think* 17T will make my magic gear ratio work again (but maybe not)
also, what bike shops are experienced in this and won't look at me super weird when I bring in my fixie with its odd setup and know how to work with it given the vertical dropouts? I would know where to go back home...

thank you/tack! Sorry I don't know Swedish yet, I am studying a hard program at KTH and won't have a chance to do the Swedish classes until the Spring :S

russ_meyer

Post by russ_meyer » 26 Nov 2015 22:39

If you haven't serviced the bike at all and left it outside in all conditions I'd start by taking the chain and wheels off. Then check all the bearings (pedals, bb, hubs) for roughness and/or play. It sounds like something may have started to seize.

grangeyard

Re: Fixed gear suddenly harder to pedal, Stuckholm in Stockh

Post by grangeyard » 26 Nov 2015 22:52

Norvelo - Vanadisvägen 44
https://www.facebook.com/norvelo.cc/

abacaxi

Post by abacaxi » 26 Nov 2015 23:15

This happens if your serviceable bearings are too tight, which can happen if you remove the wheel a lot. Just an idea.
K: sadelstolpe silver utan setback 27,2
K: sadelstolpklämma silver 31,8
K: bangaffel 1", muffat stål eller kolfiber
http://velospace.org/user/71128

efredrikson

Post by efredrikson » 28 Nov 2015 12:47

Clean your drivetrain! If you are lazy, just spray on some degreaser, let it work, and clean with water. But I´d be surprised if that solves it.
Otherwise, just buying a half link should do the trick. I´ve had a lot of Miyatas, they are great bikes but I´ve had a lot of trouble with chain tension. Ususally when I get it to work, it takes about a week or two, then its off again.
The best thing I would suggest is an eccentric bottom bracket:
http://www.trickstuff.de/en/products/exzentriker_KL.php
or getting a whole chain made up of half links:
http://shop.bavabici.com/product/charge-masher
(If you go to BAVABICI, you also get an experience of a lifetime. Its the coolest shop in Stockholm.)

Buying a bigger drev will only delay the problem, in a week or two, the chain tension will be off again.

It´s hard to see what the problem is without any pictures, but I would also suggest looking at the chain line, how the drev and chainring are lined up, if there is too big a difference, it will become heavy to pedal, and eventually, with added chainslack, the chain will come off.

Also, this is a mistake I made in the beginning: check that the rear wheel is properly fixed in the dropouts. The powers of fixed gear biking are quite big and maybe you need to properly align the wheel good and center again, so that the tire doesn´t drag against the chain stay.

good luck!
there can be only one

efredrikson

Post by efredrikson » 28 Nov 2015 12:49

don´t know why, but somehow it automatically translates C-O-G to D-R-E-V. but you get the general idea :)
there can be only one